by Nakshatra Balachander
Living Alone and Bored weekends?
Why don’t we move around our house and make it a zero-waste home without disposing anything?
A little background of zero-waste house concept:
Zero Waste is a movement to reduce the amount one consumes and consequently throws away. Adopting a Zero Waste lifestyle is one of the most sustainable ways of living
Zero waste house is an idea to reuse those already existing bottles, old CDs and various other household products into a décor item or to any other useful material.
How to shift to zero waste? (3 tips)
1.Monitor your everyday trash collection.
– Think about how you can cut them down or reuse them. Go around the house and see if you can organise an area with the help of your inorganic solid waste items.
– Think of ways to regenerate greenery with the organic waste of your trash. If it becomes impossible to use for regenerative purpose use them for decomposition. Organic manures are in high demand because of its purity. So why waste such a pure nature’s blessing?
2.When “Reusing” met “Creativity”.
– When you find an object lying in the house and you’re already quite bored of it, give it a new life by transforming it into another object.
– This transformation can be of any form- colour, shape, feature or even usage. – One good example- We all have that one pen stand with a branding of any company lying in the dust. Also, we all have some used gift wraps neatly folded at home in the hope of using it again. Let’s give the stand that hopeless cover to cover itself. With such good cover and shape it deserves to be on the dining table as a spoon stand.
3.Converting villains to heroes.
– We all have just started to adapt to zero waste. Which means there are some plastic containers or bottles lying around. They’ve been a real villain and now it’s time to transform them.
– Let them be of a small help in helping an emerging life. With little holes in the bottom, they can be an excellent plant holder or even bird feeder. – Usually, plants initially require a nursery sometimes to give out shoots. They can be of help.
– Well, sometimes those dried out paints can also be used again to decorate these containers to give them a cute outlook.
With lockdowns we very often get bored to even watch series or movies. Why don’t we spend our time just like we did in our school days in art classes?
This one move can help lighten our mood and at the same time address the issue of waste management.
At this point of time, let’s not punish our environment anymore instead help them.
Living a sustainable life is the need of the hour. Choosing to live sustainably can help the environment become cleaner. If we don’t start bringing sustainability into our daily lives, the future generations have to comprise their needs.
All this can start with a little waste managing step.The pandemic is a great example to know the damages that we’ve done to the environment and hence let’s be kind to them by being waste free.